Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Drat! (the -polite- way to say what I really mean)




So, we installed an electric sub-panel into the winery on Sunday. It's a 40 Amp service, which should provide enough power for us because lighting will be on a separate circuit.

We had to bring in more power because we need heat. Our barrels are colder than we'd like if we want MaloLactic Fermentation (MLF) to complete anytime soon. We want MLF to complete so we can protect the wine from spoilage by adding sulphite. (You know the "Contains Sulfites" notice on wine labels - it's on there because winemakers add sulphite to preserve the wine. Sulfite free wine is fine for those who want to drink wines right away, but those aren't the kind of wines we're trying to make). Anyway, we can't add sulphite yet because it will inhibit MLF.

Cold temperatures also inhibit MLF, which is why we want heat...which is why we needed to add the new electrical service.

So, to prepare the fermentation room to add the new heater, Jill was moving barrels around while I was helping with the wiring. Jill asked me to move a tank for her because she couldn't move it. I thought she couldn't get the pallet jack over the wood slat in the pallet holding the tank, so I did it for her. When I put the pallet jack in I accidentally hit the open/close valve on the bottom of the tank with the pallet jack. Drat. The tanks aren't that strong and I really didn't want to be banging it around.

I knelt down to inspect the valve to make sure I hadn't creased the tank or really caused any damage. Then, I wondered, "why is this valve on here anyway -- it's just sticking out being in the way. So I unclamped the valve.

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!! - wine spray everywhere! The tank was full! (well, it had about 50 gallons in it anyway). So, I'm trying to re-clamp the valve at the same time calling for help from Jill and Cam. We're sitting there trying to figure out what to do when I realize that we can try to pump it out before it spills out on the floor and is a complete waste.

Everyone scrambles to hook up the pump while I'm holding the valve with my hands, getting sprayed the whole time. Finally the pump is hooked up and we are able to empty the tank.

Whew, crises avoided.

We still lost several gallons of wine - certainly more than we should have had I been paying more attention. I felt like crap and for that matter still do.

We cleaned up the mess and I've taken a vow to never remove any clamp without twice inspecting that the tank is empty...

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jena said...

Oh man, I am glad you were there and not me! I am sure you would have lost a whole lot more wine were I to have "helped" out! HA!

Okay, maybe just in consumption loss....

I am looking forward to learning more about this whole winemaking process! Thanks for updating the blog!